"People told me i couldn't kill Nicholson, so I casted him in two roles and killed him off twice." -Tim Burton

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Surrealism...ain't it dandy??

Surrealism is my favorite art movement. i first learned of it in the eighth grade, sitting in a book store reading about art. I hit a book titled "Surrealism" and this book has been by my night stand ever since that day. In it I saw works by numerous surrealists, including the infamous Dali.

The definition of surrealism is one I will give from notes my art teacher gave me the other week.

Surrealism is a 20th Century movement in art, with Andre Bretton as the main speaker of this period. DaDa influence on surrealism is big, basically creating un-conformity in the art world. "Rational thought brought on the bad state of the world, which in turn created surrealism."
Sigmund Froyd was a psychoanalyst, who did a couple studies on this time...especially since some of the artwork produced was a little "out there."
This era of artwork let names such as Dali and Picasso become infamous. The Exquisite Corpse became famous from then, a game perhaps you have heard when you do one thing and pass it along, basically layers piling up to create a work of art.
Another way to sum up Surrealism is "re-uniting the conscience and un-conscience."

Here is a link to Andre Bretton's: site:http://www.studiocleo.com/librarie/breton/bretonpage.html
(This site has a bit of everything.)

No comments:

Post a Comment